Private Well Testing Day
2021 Well Testing Day
The 2021 Private Well Testing Day is scheduled for September 13, 2021! This program is open to all private well owners in Calumet County. This year's host communities include the Village of Harrison, Town of Brillion and Town of Chilton. Registration is required, and space may be limited. Town of Chilton well owners, please use the Town of Chilton form to register.
- Registration Deadline is August 27, 2021.
- Sample Kit Distribution Dates, Locations and Times
- Tuesday, Sept 7 at Town of Brillion Hall, 6-8PM
- Wednesday, Sept 8 at Town of Chilton Hall, 6-8PM
- Thursday, Sept 9 at Harrison Municipal Building, 6-8PM
- Wednesday, Sept 8 at Calumet County Courthouse, 10AM - 2PM
- Sample Kit Return Location and Times (ALL MONDAY, SEPT 13)
- Calumet County Courthouse, 10AM - 2PM
- Town of Brillion Hall, 6-8PM
- Town of Chilton Hall, 6-8PM
- Harrison Municipal Building, 6-8PM
How to Sample Your Well
Here is a quick 5 minute video on how to sample your well for 3 common analyses: homeowners' package (includes the bacteria and nitrate test), metal's package, and the DACT screen. The video was created by the UWSP Water & Environmental Analysis Lab.
Why Participate in Calumet County Private Well Testing Day?
A private well should be sampled annually for bacteria at a minimum. This event provides the annual opportunity (and reminder) to "check up" on your home's drinking water supply. Benefits of participating include bottle pick up & drop off convenience, reduced pricing for group testing participants, and an education night held about five weeks after the event. The education night is an opportunity to learn how to read your results, as well as how to resolve any problems with your water, including plumbing, proper well maintenance, and at home-practices to improve your drinking water.
- Homeowner’s Package: $55
- Includes: coliform bacteria, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, hardness, chlorides, conductivity, and corrosivity index
- Metals Package: $52
- Includes: arsenic, calcium, copper, iron, lead, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, sulfate, and zinc
- DACT Screen: $33
- For Atrazine pesticides (only recommended if nitrates are high)
- Group Testing Package: $135
- All 3 above: homeowner’s package, metals package, and DACT
2020 Group Testing Results
Overall, the well results were relatively good compared to previous years. No wells were positive for E.coli. Of the 172 wells that participated in the program, under 25 wells were either unsafe for bacteria and/or nitrate. More details are provided in the 2020 Groundwater Report.
Kevin Masarik from UW-Extension provided an overview to program participant on November 11, 2020. The slides from his presentation are available below.
2020 Calumet County Private Well Testing Program Update (Slide Presentation)
2019 Group Testing Results
The 2019 Groundwater Report is now available. The report highlights the results and analysis of the 2019 Group Testing Program and provides an update on overall groundwater quality in Calumet County. Calumet County Groundwater Report June 2019 (PDF)
For access to the presentation given at the Educational Program on April 30th, please follow the link: K. Masarik April 2019 (PDF)
Summary of Results (PDF) - Provides a breakdown of all parameters analyzed from 191 well test.
2018 Group Testing Results - May 7
Other Parameters Tested: Calcium, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Manganese, Sodium, Lead, Sulfate, Zinc, pH, Conductivity, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Chloride, Diaminochlorotriazine (DACT)