Click to Home
Go To Search
How Do I?
DMV Temporary Plates
DMV Temporary Plate Issuance
Effective September 1, 1998, certain vehicles are required to display either a metal or temporary license plate within two business days after the purchase of a vehicle in order to operate legally in Wisconsin. This new law applies to all cars and light trucks registering 8,000 pounds or less. The purpose of this new law is to reduce the number of unregistered vehicles on the highways and to assist law enforcement.

The Calumet County Clerk is an agent for the Department of Motor Vehicles for the sole purpose of issuing temporary plates.

If you have purchased a vehicle from a private individual or recently moved to Wisconsin from another state, you will need to come into the County Clerk’s office to purchase a temporary plate. If you purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealer, they will provide the service for you. The Chilton office of the DMV will not issue temporary plates. A complete list of agents that will provide the plates can also be obtained by accessing the Department of Transportation’s website.

Securing a Temporary Plate
When you purchase the vehicle, bring in the vehicle’s title and the appropriate fees. Depending on each individual situation, you may be charged some or all of the following fees:
  • Title Fee: Pay the title fee if you are changing the owner(s) on the title, or titling the vehicle in Wisconsin for the first time. Pay a replacement title fee of $8 if you are replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated Wisconsin title. The title fee effective January 2008 is $69.50.
  • Taxes: If you just purchased the vehicle, you need to pay the appropriate taxes. 5% of the sale price for Wisconsin state tax and depending on which Wisconsin County you reside in, you may be required to pay an additional one-half percent county tax.
  • License Plate Fee: The regular license plate fee is $75 for one year. If you purchased a truck, the fee is slightly higher based on the truck weight. If you are transferring plates from a different vehicle, you do not need to pay this fee at the present time.
  • Temporary Plate Fee: If you do not have plates to transfer on your new vehicle, you will need to pay $3 for a temporary plate that is used until the permanent plates arrive.
  • Counter Service Fee: A $5 counter service fee is charged for processing and handling each transaction. This fee is paid directly to the County Clerk’s Office.

The County Clerk’s office will assist customers in filling out the appropriate application and answering any questions they may have.

Calumet County Government
206 Court Street
Chilton, WI 53014

Main Offices
(920) 849-2361
(833) 620-2730
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F